Sunday, January 14, 2007

"One day, you will run worse than you ever thought possible."

My Aussie Millions Main Event lasted less than four hours.

Having been recently moved to a new table, I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-27k when this hand comes up. EP limps in, next to act makes it 600 to go, and I'm in the cutoff with K7ss. I call (a little loose, but I have good position and no qualms about speculating this deep and trying to flop a big hand.) Haralabos Voulgaris calls on the button and the big blind calls. Decent-sized 5-way pot.

Flop comes T65 all spades. Raiser bets a meek 500 and I toss in 1500 (probably too weak). Haralabos cold-calls, everyone else folds, and by now perhaps I should be wondering what he has but slowing down with second nuts seems ridiculous, so I bet-3-bet all-in on the blank turn and get shown A9 of spades.

So if you're keeping track I'm down something on the order of $8700US here plus one $10,500AU tournament buyin. Nothing-- and I mean nothing-- has gone right at the poker table. I got crushed at the cash games-- I have AA, someone flops a set; I have a big pair, someone has aces. Or a set. In the FTP qualifier freeroll I moved in short with AA and chopped with the other AA. Then UTG with 10xBB I moved in with AQo and the BB called with, you got it, Q8s, and of course the board was all his (he flopped a flush draw and turned an 8). I got crippled in the $1650 calling a shove with AQ and losing to T7s.

Nothing I've done has gone right. My big hands all get cracked or coolered. I don't think I'm playing poorly, but I can't overcome these cards.

I'll be happy to get back to the States. I would love to play more live events like this, because I think I'm really good at them, but I can't afford it and I can't overcome these kinds of cards. I'm just tired of online poker, staring at a computer hours on end a day. But I don't have the means to play major live events and I certainly don't have any other skills that pay even close to what poker does.

I've got another week here. I have no idea what I'm going to do. I'm depressed right now, I feel alone, and like I got kicked in the teeth. Between this, and the cheating scandal (which has now degenerated into some vicious personal attacks toward me) and everything I've had to deal with regarding some old friends who have turned their back to me, 2007 has been... well, it's been a shitty year.

3 Comments:

Blogger Blogger said...

Sorry to hear about your run in the main event, but remember Nath, you're in AUSTRALIA!!

I know this blog is supposed to be all about poker, but try to enjoy your time in Australia. You may never have the chance to go down under again.

It's summer there, the women are hot, and Melbourne is one of the most amazing cities in the world.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nath,

Hey man...don't get down...Georgia and I are still rooting for you! Think of how many people who would love to play poker full time (like me!) but who can't live the dream. While I was losing in Vegas you were up like 250,000! Ha ha. You da man.

Jeff

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your losses down under Nath. Keep yourself leveled, and you'll get yourself back on track. Good luck going forward!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home