Wednesday, August 09, 2006

report from the last couple days at the WSOP

I took some time off to unwind after busting out of the main event. I didn't think I played very well the second day; after my first day's disastrous last level I lost a lot of my patience and just tried to pick up pots even when I had no business doing so.

I realize I have a lot of problems playing an "orange zone" stack, when you're too big to open all-in but you still have to move sometimes with hands that are less than ideal but can't stand a reraise. I want to work on that.

I entered two of the $1500 "second-chance" bracelet events they were running during the WSOP and neither one went well. My plan was to try to pick up enough chips early to go deep; in the first one I got some good hands but never got action on them. Sucks because I was at a good table.

I got up to 1900 before running KK into AA in the second level. I misplayed the hand; I panic-pushed a really bad flop but obviously it didn't matter.

Second tournament I got lots of garbage. To complicate things Thayer Rasmussen (2+2er UCF THAYER) was on my left and playing well and had a big stack.

I actually folded AK preflop. Mid position made it 100 at 25/25 and got a caller; button made it 400 with 600 behind. I had AKo in SB and just dropped it; I figure I'm never good with that action and maybe not even racing. MP and button got it in the flop with QQ and 99. No ace or king hit anyway.

The first pot I tried to make a real move at was when I raised an MP limper from LP with JTo. I made it 125 at 25/25. The SB who was really short moved in for 250 more. I was getting a little better than 2:1 and figured he was moving with anything so I called. He had Q9s; the flop was QT8 and I didn't improve.

This knocked me to 1200 and I got a long run of garbage after that. At 25/50 I opened 55 in MP and got a caller in the big blind; the flop was AA5 and I got no action.

I folded AJ UTG+1 to an UTG raise. Turned out to be the right move; he had QQ and flopped top set and busted a guy with a pair and a flush draw.

I got down to about 800 before picking up a pot at 25/50 UTG with AK. Two hands later M/LP (bigger stack and fairly aggressive guy) made it 200 after an older lady limped in (she was doing that a lot; seemed weak-tight). I had JJ in SB and pushed 800 more and he folded.

Next hand I had TT on button and 1300 in chips or so; I opened to 175. Thayer called in the SB. The flop was 662 with two hearts. He checked, I bet 325 and he pushed. I called because I think he does that with lots of hands I beat; draws and smaller pairs, for example. Unfortunately he had A6.

I probably won't play tomorrow's. I just need a bit of a break from poker. I'll spend the last couple days trying to relax and packing up and such. I return to Houston Friday and I'll see my friends but after that I think I may take a vacation somewhere where I can really relax. Take some time off from both poker and partying. I play better when I'm better rested and in better shape anyway.


Blogger said...

I was wondering if you would be interested in placing advertisement on your website. In return we would pay $30 per referral. If you are interested please view my blog [] for more information.


9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home